My husband is diabetic, so I used honey and Splenda. I suppose you could use white or brown sugar, but they might turn out a little dry. If you do use sugar, try using unsweetened applesauce in place of the oil for more moisture.
Here is the recipe should you want to try it for yourself:
Super Yummy Produce Muffins
- 2 cups shredded peeled apples (I used one each of Granny Smith, Gala, and Honeycrisp)
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup Splenda
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans.)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, combine apples, honey and Splenda; let stand for 10 minutes. Add cranberries, carrots, nuts, eggs and oil; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; stir into apple mixture just until moistened. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Makes 2 dozen little bits of tastiness.